Name: 41
Title: Meeting Minutes for 04-29-01
Last modified: 2005-11-04
Back to minutes listing

Meeting Minutes for 04-29-01 (Meeting #15)

Meeting Start 6:46pm

Roll Call (those present, unless otherwise denoted)

Br. Wheatley
Br. Burgess
Br. Kraft -- ABSENT
Br. Yarrison
Br. Powell
Br. Martin -- LATE
Br. Lowe -- ABSENT (excused)
Br. Garner
Br. Aldridge
Br. Rogers
Br. Branson
Br. Lewis -- ABSENT (excused)
Br. Siard
Br. Williams
Br. Rye -- ABSENT
Br. Meizlish
Br. Scott
Br. McCann
Br. Kirkpatrick
Br. Gilland
Br. Thomas
Br. Martin
Br. Abernethy
Pl. Cantu
Pl. Murphy -- ABSENT
Pl. Brumbaugh

* Minutes from the March 25th, 2001, meeting were passed.
* Minutes from the April 8th, 2001, meeting were passed.
* Minutes from the April 15th, 2001, meeting were passed.
* Minutes from the April 22nd, 2001, meeting were passed.

President's Report
- There are several officer positions that will open up next fall: Alumni Relations, Public Relations, and in theory, Historian, Philanthropy Chair. Br. Meizlish is interested in Public Relations. I'll talk to more people during I-Week.
- Br. Rogers is the only person who told me he's interested in working with the housing committee. Br. Gilland and Meizlish also expressed interest. This group is chartered with finding a rental property, or apartments, to make due until we can get into the Manor. Br. Lewis might also be interested. Let's meet during I-Week.
- National Convention is coming up in August. Br. Abernethy and Gilland have asked for the second position in our delegation.
- There was a St. Pats council meeting this week. There's an E-Club meeting on May 3rd at Reves Park at 6:30 pm. There also giving away donuts in Carson in the morning. I also have a fall schedule for E-Club, for anyone interested.
- I've got a flyer about University Sing. If you're interested in doing it next year, talk to me.
- Br. Ycedo is going to alumni status. As of now, he's not going to be returning to the University.

Vice-President's Report
- Aftermeeting is immediately after this meeting at the Manor.
- Tuesday dinner: Br. Branson and Siard volunteer. Let's do it at 7:00 pm this time.

Secretary's Report
- I went through and revised the website. Check it out for problems.
- I also posted the calendar of events for next semester on the website.
- The member tree is mostly updated, except I can't delete old pledges.

Treasurer's Report
- Thank you to all pledges; you're fully paid!
- Pizza will be provided tonight courtesy of the chapter.
- Normally, our bill for National Convention is $500. This year, it'll be $500 for convention plus $300 for three nights in one room. Br. Branson said he might be able to provide housing for the actives.
- T-shirts are on sale. They're $10 for the road trip and $12 for the party. If you want one, buy one from me. Remind anyone who was at the party.
- Br. Aaron Martin needs to get me a budget.

Rush Chairman's Report
- I'm passing around a rush schedule for Fall of 2001. Whatever calendars you have handy, mark them. I expect you at the events.
- I was running late to the rush meeting, and missed it. Sounds like they just presented the rush rules and left.

Chapter Editor's Report
- I received a nifty email from the Ohio State Chapter. Their treasurer said they liked the Event Horizon. They were amused with the "All you base belong to us."
- Thanks for submitting your Event Horizon articles... all one person of you, Br. Griffin.
- Tomorrow is the 30th. YOUR ARTICLES ARE DUE TOMORROW!

House Manager's Report (Br. Branson reporting)
- I assume the house will be a pit during finals, and we'll clean up during I-Week.
- The vacuum cleaner is now unclogged. You can use it if you want to clean.
- Move out of Apache is coming up during I-Week. Pack your stuff up before then.

Social Chairman's Report (Br. Branson reporting)
- Trek might be planning an after-finals party. I don't know.
- I talked to Br. Lewis about the calendar. We might move a date or two.

Scholarship Chairman's Report
- No one has talked to me about grades. I assume you're doing well.
- I'd like to keep the first floor on the Manor as a study area for the next week.
- I assume IFC will have a form ready in the next week.
- AI Final: Thursday, 1:30 pm. I suggest study session on Wednesday at 8 pm on.
- Foundations Final: Friday at 8 am. Thursday night we'll study.
- We'll study topology before or after AI.

Athletics Chairman's Report
- TRA: Technically we played today. We stood on the field. We lost 1-10. Congrats to Pyrex for scoring our goal! However, we're still in 3rd place, and we played the best team in the league. Next game is at 8pm on Sunday, May 6.

Alumni Relations Chairman's Report
- Nothing to report.

Pledge Educator's Report
- This is the last pledge education meeting of the semester.
- Br. Williams is invted to come and speak as Vice President.

Pledge Class President's Report
- Not much going on.

IFC Representative's Report
- There's a meeting on Tuesday.

Philanthropy Chairman's Report
- Delta Upsilon is hosting Sandcastles for Charity. Build sandcastles and have them scored. Entry fee is $30 and is due tomorrow. It'll be this Wednesday, from 5 until 8 pm. Funds go to the American Lung Association.

Alpha Sigma Kappa Liaison's Report
- They had initiation on Friday.
- Saturday was a founders day for them.

Historian's Report
- Go make history, and I'll take pictures of it.
- I might go to the next soccer game.
- The photo album will be done during I-Week.

Public Relations Chairman
- So far, people like us. And that's good.

Reaper Report
- Nothing to report.

Executive Committee Report
- We met on Wednesday. It was our last meeting of the semester. We talked about scheduling, budget, and rush.
- If you have an officer's position, talk to Br. Siard to get your budget.
- We might meet again during I-Week.

Old Business
- No old business.

New Business
- Motion to ammend Part III, Article III, Section 3, to change quorum to one more than one half (1/2) of the membership. Made by Br. Siard, seconded by Br. Scott.
- Motion to refer this to the constitutional committee during I-Week. Made by Br. Kirkpatrick, seconded by Br. Aldridge.

Discussion:
JCK: I don't think we've considered the number (50%) much in this leglislation. That's why I made that
MAB: We'd need to vote on any constitutional changes to make live. We could vote during I-Week to make this change.

- Motion to refer to constitutional committee. Passed. We'll talk about this during I-Week.
- Motion for President to create a committee for constitutional review. Made by Br. Kirkpatrick, seconded by Br. Yarrison.

Discussion:
SCS: It's a good idea.
MBA: Who is interested? MDS2, SCS, JCK, MAB, HPM. Committee meetings will be open.

- Motion to create the committee is passed. Members above will be on the committee. Br. Branson appoints Br. Kirkpatrick as chair.

- Motion to discuss leglislation for National Convention. Made by Br. Branson, seconded by Br. Yarrison.

Issue One: Formalize definition of colors. Br. Mercer would like to set the color "old rose" to a burgendy, and gray is a darker gray.
HPM: Is this to recommend what position for our delegates to take?
MAB: Yes. Vote "yes" if you're conservative.
Vote: The opinion of the actives is that we vote "yes" on issue #1.

Issue Two: Let's strike the definition of contents and description of stationary from the constitution.
Vote: The opinion of the actives is that we vote "yes" on issue #2.

Issue Three: Change cumulative GPA requirement to 2.25. This will be phased in by 0.05 points a year through August 2006.
MWY: This should be shot down.
HPM: In order to make it, you need more than a C. However, they might continue increasing the GPA requirement.
JCK: I'm concerned that, in meteorology, getting a C in calc I means you won't survive. I'm in favor of this.
TDM: I don't see a point. This encourages people to take less challenging courses.
MDM: I would have lost several semesters as a Triangle under this requirement. I think it should be shot down.
MWY: Why should we limit our membership, when other fraternities are having problems?
KLR: Anything less than a 2.0 point signifies that you're not serious about school.
TRA: All this would do is potentially weed out a good brother. If we cut them off the first semester, why?
HPM: You can tell between people who are making a 2.0 and will do better, and the ones who will fail.
BMG: If you're making a C in calc I, it's possible to improve with the assistance of the chapter.
Vote: The opinion of the actives is that we vote "no" on issue #3.

Issue Four: We need to take out some wording on a date that's passed.
Vote: The opinion of the actives is that we vote "yes" on issue #4.

Issue Five:  They'd like to move elections of national officers at National Convention to increase participation.
MDM: I think it's a good idea.
MPA: Will they charge you twice for leadership school and elections?
MBA: No. They'll just do the elections at some time during the leadership school.
Vote: The opinion of the actives is that we vote "yes" on issue #5.

Issue Seven: Allow postious initiation as an honor.
MDM: Has there been a precedence set for this?
MAB: Yes. There was a pledge killed laster year in a motorcycle accident.
Vote: The opinion of the actives is that we vote "yes" on issue #7.

- Motion to close discussion. Made by Br. Yarrison, seconded by Br. Meizlish.

Action Item List
MAB: Call National HQ tomorrow to find out why we owe $300+
HPM: Check my job status this week
MDM: Write your Event Horizon articles by tomorrow
HPM: Get myself graduated
BMG: Work on finding apartments or houses
KLR: Get stuff done for Burgey

Announcements

Br. Wheatley
- I watched the team take the field today in soccer.
- I have the housing contract for those in the Manor.
- I slept 15 hours last night, and felt good.
- I went to Kansas City to watch the qualifiy match for the US soccer team.

Br. Yarrison
- All new chemical engineers should be rounded up and shot. No: roasted alive. They keep taking up our computers.
- I HATE SENIOR DESIGN!
- I'm going to Italy for a month, thank God!

Br. Burgess
- I thoroughly enjoyed soccer.
- I thoroughly enjoyed racketball with Br. Wheatley.
- So far, I'm enjoying this meeting.

Br. Powell
- For some reason, I've been finding money in my clothing lately. "I think my mother has been planting money in my shorts lately."
- I upgraded mySQL on my laptop and it hosed my entire computer.
- The people upstairs left the water on at Apache, and left. Parts of my ceiling is caving in, and water is running on my laptop.
- I got to watch somebody in Carson kick the living daylights out of a lab computer. There's a pro-e project due tomorrow.
- For the last three days, I've been living on pizza and getting a few hours of sleep a night.
- My database project is done! It's compiles, it's checked in, and it works! It even passes the stupid tests.

Br. Martin
- I'm in hell.
- I was going to be here early, but I left my bag at home.
- If there is a limit to how much one can be burned out on school, I've passed it (last year).
- I have six finals, and I caught plague.

Br. Garner
- My group is still working.
- I need to remind Hugh we have a quiz on Tuesday, and our project due on Thursday.
- I hope Br. Ycedo had a safe trip home.

Br. Aldridge
- The movie Titus is pretty awesome.
- Overall, it's been an okay week.

Br. Rogers
- Nuttin'.

Br. Branson
- Thanks to Br. Aldridge and Siard for a good time yesterday. We went hiking in the Wichita mountains.
- Learned a lot about sex on Tuesday. Those of you who missed the sexual assault speaker... I'll just say that some girls on this campus "are a dime to a dollar."

Br. Siard
- Titius Andronicus is one of Shakespeares best plays made into a movie.
- I seemed to have developed stigmata yesterday.
- Alchemical Reagent of the Week: mandragora
- I'm going to be doing my honors research with Dr. Klein.

Br. Williams
- It was an okay week. Stress, stress...
- The University cancelled my summer classes, and didn't inform me.

Br. Meizlish
- Dr. Oziden is awesome. After missing as much class as I did, he's going to make part of my final count for a previous exam.
- I'm happy, and I'm almost set for this semester.
- Finals are done very early for me next semester.

Br. Scott
- Nothing to report.

Br. McCann
- For the fourth semester in a row, I have at least 50% of my finals at 8 am.

Br. Kirkpatrick
- Spent Thursday and Friday night hanging out with somebody new.
- Saturday night, saw Guys and Dolls. Drama party afterwards was just that.
- Five more lecture days.

Br. Gilland
- Sorted over 2,000 fliers this week. I survived.
- Bring It On was great soft porn, good humor, and terrible ending.
- Bought de Franco and Uncle Kracker's new album. Both promise to be good.

Br. Thomas
- Huh?

Br. Martin
- Er...

Br. Abernethy
- I had a nice weekend. Went home, and my mother presented me with Adidas deoderant.
- In the mail this week, I got a pink card for a package. Instead, the Navy sent me a CD on becoming a civ e.

Pl. Cantu
- For all those who have taken McKnight, he proves himself useful. I have nothing less than 100% on my exams.
- I played my recital pretty well.
- I bought an amp. Thank you to those who offered theirs.

Pl. Brumbaugh
- I saw Titus over the week. The blood, gore, and cooking people in pies was relaxing.
- Other than that, the week was... well, no four letter word describes it. Just imagine it 10 times worse.

Final Announcement
- Goes to Br. Scott for revising the web page.

Meeting End 8:05pm