Name: 36
Title: Meeting Minutes for 01-14-01
Last modified: 2005-08-27
Back to minutes listing




   
   
   
   Meeting Minutes for 01-14-01




Meeting Minutes for 01-14-01 (Meeting #1)

Meeting Start 8:31pm

Roll Call (those present, unless otherwise denoted)

Br. Wheatley
Br. Dickinson
Br. Kraft
Br. Yarrison
Br. Powell
Br. Martin
Br. Lowe
Br. Garner
Br. Aldridge
Br. Rogers - ABSENT
Br. Ycedo
Br. Branson
Br. Lewis
Br. Siard
Br. Williams - ABSENT
Br. Rye - ABSENT
Br. Meizlish - ABSENT
Br. Scott
Br. McCann
Br. Kirkpatrick
Br. Gilland
Br. Thomas
Br. Martin
Br. Abernethy

President's Report
- Had a good time at the President's academy.
       - Lots of chapters having same problems as us. We're rapidly approaching average chapter size. Everybody is growing.
       - Lost Pitt. House was in bad shape, closed chapter down for a few years and will recolonize.
       - UMB has strong colony. USC interest group getting strong.
       - The fraternity as a whole has gained more members than last year. Every other fraternity is losing members at this point.
- Dance Marathon is February 10th. Forms need to be turned in by February 7th. $85 is the fee. It's for a good cause - Childrens Hospital of Oklahoma. All the signup forms are in the pledge mailboxes.
- Exec Council will meet at 4:30 PM on Tuesday at the Kirkpatrick Manor.
- I'll get meeting rooms in the union again this week. If you haven't heard from me by next Sunday, plan on having it in the union (check the signs).
- Spring break road trip will take us up north, and visit 12-13 chapters in about nine days. Eight people expressed interest in going. I talked to some chapters this weekend, everybody is excited. Have to hit Rolla on St. Patrick's Day (first day of spring break) for the party. You can also come just to Rolla with us.
- Triangle Fraternity's Education Foundation is looking for undergraduate donations for President's Men program. Costs $25 to join.
- Appointed officer positions are up for assignment. Br. Kirkpatrick will be Athletics Chair. Br. McCann for IFC rep, Br. Martin will assist. Philanthropy Chair goes to Br. Kraft and Br. A. Martin. Alumni relations goes to Br. H. Martin, Br. Thomas can assist. Br. Lewis will keep Social Chair. Historian position will go to Br. Yarrison, and an assistant will be assigned at a later date. ASK Liaison is unassigned. Br. Scott will take Public Relations, Br. H. Martin offered his assistance.
- Another new position will be created to track action items, dates, and forms -- it shall be called the Reaper. Br. Powell will become the chapter's Reaper.
- I'd like to meet everyone in the appointed positions. Date and time will be decided in the future.

Vice-President's Report (Br. Aldridge reporting)
- After meeting next week
- Ritual went well
- I broke the lock on the ritual box; need to fix it.

Secretary's Report
- Look for meeting minutes no later than Monday.
- Member book & yellow cards have been filled out.
- Member, officer list on website will be updated.
- Need a copy of the rush schedule to post on website.

Treasurer's Report
- I don't have any of the material yet. Br. Ycedo is getting last bills out.
- New fiscal year starts January 15th.
- Talk to me if you can't pay your bills. I'll help develop a payment schedule.
- I will develop a Hall of Shame for late payers, and those who do not pay.
- Will create a new system for submitting receipts. Staple receipt to an index card, put authoritative officer's name on it, and the budget from which it comes.
- Br. Branson requested a financial planning speaker to come and speak during a dinner.
- Look for a bill at some in the near future, including an invoice of this month's charges and charges past due.
- In the constitution: anyone with delinquent bills for over two months will lose voice in chapter meetings. This will be brought to attention at the appropriate time. (Note: payment plans will override this clause.)

Rush Chairman's Report
- Rush schedule is done, and should go out to the Triangle mailing list by the end of the day on Monday.
- Fall prospects lunch here at the Manor at 12:30 PM tomorrow (Monday, January 15th). Need to call Mulder, Cantu, Dylan, and other possible pledges.
- Flyers for Welcome Back Party will go up at 11:30 AM. We'll meet at the Apache house, post the flyers, and be back by the fall prospects lunch.
- Dorm storming on Tuesday and Wednesday frm 6:00-9:00 PM. Meet at the Manor at 5:45 PM, need lots of people.
- Welcome Back Party is in Sarkey's Atrium on Thursday.
- Alumni Picnic at Noon on Saturday. Location TBD.
- I look forward to a good rush.

Chapter Editor's Report
- Br. Scott says the Event Horizon went out in December.

House Manager's Report
- Cleanup day scheduled for tomorrow sometime after the rush event. Yard needs to be cleaned of branches.
- House Manager meeting on Wednesday 9 PM (after dormstorming).
- House work days will generally be Wednesdays.
- House managers meeting every other Wednesday this semester.
- Br. Dickinson reports the Apache house needs cleaning. Must do dishes.

Social Chairman's Report
- Social calendar has been created. It was passed around during the business meeting.
- Formal pledging will be on February 18th.
- Br. Branson asked for the calendar to be sent out through email.
- First social meeting will be on February 15th.

Scholarship Chairman's Report
- For Fall 2000, we were academically #1 -- slightly above Lamda Chi Alpha. Our grade point average was 3.024 for last semester.
- Would like copies of syllabi for all your classes; I'll schedule study nights for upcoming exams in your classes.

Athletics Chairman's Report
- If anyone has an intramural schedule, please send me one.
- We'll set up events next week.
- Br. Lowe would like to get people together to do the MS150 -- bike ride from San Antonio to Houston.
- Monday, January 22nd, at 7PM there is a table tennis tournament at Huston Huffman. Entries are being accepted Wednesday and Thursday 8AM-5PM.

Alumni Relations Chairman's Report
- Nice to see so many familiar faces this weekend.
- If anyone has anything to communicate with the alumni, email me.

Pledge Educator's Report
- No report.

Pledge Class President's Report
- No report.

IFC Representative's Report
- I need the IFC meeting times and locations.
- Br. Garner says to drop by the IFC office to register yourself as Triangle's rep.

Philanthropy Chairman's Report
- Next week, they'll start judging our trash pickup area again.

Alpha Sigma Kappa Liaison's Report
- Doing dorm storming and Welcome back party with them.

Historian's Report
- Will have photos tomorrow, and I'll start organizing them this week.
- Talk to Br. Meizlish about

Public Relations Chairman
- Nothing to report.
- Br. Aldridge mentioned sending out a press release on being academically #1.

Reaper Report
- Need a schedule from you for reminders. Email them to me or give me a call.
- Br. Branson asked for a reminder email requesting due dates.

Executive Committee Report
- Did not meet; no report.

Old Business
- No old business

New Business
- Br. Kirkpatrick would like to review the Active Org's section of the Constitution. Lots of inconsistencies; need to bring Constitution up to date with the organization. I can submit amendments on my own, but would like to work together with others.
- Br. Branson would like to schedule a planning retreat sometime this semester; maybe we can review it there.
- Br Wheatley reports: Alumni org would like to assign mentors to the active President, VP, Secretary, Treasurer, and Rush Chair. They'd like to bring someone from National down to talk to us about this program. Need a weekend to schedule this visit.

Action Item List
MPA - Form N and three Form F's needs to be sent in
TDM - Need to talk to IFC
MDS - Move FNG's from the pledge mailing list to the active's
MAB - Fill out Form RU online to tell national who our new officers are
MAB - Sign up for National's Presidents email list
SCS - Fill out Form X for budgeting
HPM - See Dr. Zelby and get my schedule fixed
JDP - Need to get advised and change your classes by Friday

Announcements

Br. Wheatley
- Welcome to the new brothers.
- One of you got me sick.

Br. Dickinson
- Arrrrrg.

Br. Kraft
- Nuthin'.

Br. Yarrison
- I'm running the Road Rally this year. I'd like as many teams as possible. Twelve teams is the current record. No cellular communication between cars.
- I'm going to have some moles removed. They're not cancerous, but they're still not good. Going to do that over Spring Break.

Br. Powell
- Got a Christmas gift -- passed a class I wasn't expecting. Now, I need to replace Numerical Methods with something else (Foundations?).
- Fine tuned my budget, so I know when I'll run out of money (and when I need to get a job).
- Diablo II really rocks, but it sucks your life away.
- Got kicked out of my Dad's house, and hung out with my Grandmother.

Br. Martin
- I have a job now! Will be working for Sycamore Networks in Tulsa. I'll get stock options, and their stock is doing well. I'm really excited about it.
- Last semester was good, except two incompletes in classes. Still a chance I can graduate this semester if I can get into a closed class, or change a grade.
- I'll be counting the days until graduation! (or I may just get sick of class and leave.)
- Thanks to Br. Branson, and good luck. I still want to be involved in as much as I can, with alumni and public relations.

Br. Lowe
- School would be a lot of fun, if it weren't for all the classes.

Br. Garner
- Lucked out last semester.
- Looking forward to lucking out again.

Br. Aldridge
- Got sick this weekend, and this sucks.
- Thank you to everyone who made I-Week as good as it was.
- Academically, I'm at my peak.

Br. Ycedo
- All of my classes went in a bad way.
- With all that behind me, life is still pretty good.

Br. Branson
- I've been running like mad since Christmas break.
- Thanks for everyone who helped me over I-Week.
- Did a lot of thinking the last three days about the chapter.
- Start thinking about National Convention this Summer (August 4th-8th). If anybody's interested, let me know. It's $250. It's in St. Louis, so I might be able to provide accommodations.
- Played a lot of Baldur's Gate II over the holidays.
- For some reason, people buy me calendars for Christmas.

Br. Lewis
- Finally got enrolled. Took much effort, and they had my GPA wrong.
- I need to add one more class.

Br. Siard
- This semester will be marginally better than the last.
- Made a C in GUI, and I'm leaving the CS program.
- Going to take math and Shakespearean Tragedy classes

Br. Scott
- Spent a week in California and a week in Florida
- Enjoyed the Orange Bowl; I owe the FNG's lunch

Br. McCann
- Blue Man Group in Las Vegas was really awesome.
- I really love my room here, and want to move in.
- Tetris is fun, and I've met my match (Br. Abernethy)
- I have two grades to change higher.

Br. Kirkpatrick
- Congrats to Br. Yarrison for being quoted in Thursday edition of the Oklahoma Daily.
- For second spring in a row, I'll be missing retreat.
- I apologize for missing I-Week. This was the best one ever, and I regret missing part of it.
- Wearing black on Friday in memory of the Republican inauguration.
- The semester is off to a good start already.

Br. Gilland
- Break was good.
- Watched so many good movies. Finding Forrester was really good.
- My schedule looks interesting. Calc IV, Topology, Shape of Space, Philosophy of Math all my classes.
- Thanks for everyone who's been there for me over the break.

Br. Thomas
- My pledge class name is "We Never Decided" (followed by lots of uproar)

Br. Martin
- Nuhhhhthin.
- I'm taking Intro to Martial Arts.

Br. Abernethy
- Thanks to Br. Thomas for the wonderful voice change that comes with this cold!
- My schedule this semester sucks. Only thing I look forward to is soccer and volleyball.

Final Announcement
- Goes to Br. Thomas, Martin, and Abernethy for improving our membership by three.

Meeting End 9:48pm