Name: 154
Title: Triangle Meeting Minutes 18-Jan 1998
Last modified: 2005-08-27
Back to minutes listing

98s-01

18-Jan Business Meeting Minutes (18:00)


Opening Roll Call:

Stocco - present
Bryant - present
Watson - present
Forsythe - present
Dickinson - ABS UNEX.
Mercer - present
Murphy - present
Kraft - present
Yarrison - ABS ex.
Burgess - present
Powell - present
Martin - present
Lowe - co-op (no further notations this semester)
Stewart - present
Garner - present
Aldridge - present


Officer Reports:

President's Report (Ira Bryant):

  • IFC delivered updated roster (new members, minus co-ops)
  • Fraternity Awards packet from IFC received--see Br. Bryant for details
  • Br. Griffin indicates an Armour brother will fund one of our members to go to UIFI
  • ASK Liaison and Alumni Relations positions still open--see Br. Bryant
  • Executive Council meetings scheduled for Tuesdays at 6:30pm (6pm during Rush)
  • Officers advised to think about budgets and office hours

Vice President's Report (Stephen Mercer):

  • Membership development--reorganization. Hand-out issued
  • VP will do pledge education tentatively. If interested, see Br. Mercer

Secretary's Report (Hugh Martin):

  • Minutes for previous meeting not yet in hand from previous secretary.

Treasurer's Report (Mark Aldridge):

  • Still reviewing large amounts of printouts of financial records
  • Br. Watson indicates approximately $200 of operating deficit for Fall '97

Rush Chair (Mark Garner):

  • First week went well
  • 5 events this week, including Chill & Grill, Games Night, Bowling, Sci-fi Movies Night, and Super Bowl Party (see official calendar for details)
  • Discussed responsibilities for Chill & Grill (Stephen cooks, Ira gets food, etc.)

House Manager (Jeremy Kraft):

  • Will create fines system within next few weeks in relation to household duties

Chapter Editor (Stephen Mercer):

  • Event Horizon scheduled for publication on 15-February
  • Need donation information for publication (prev. editor will transmit documents)

Scholarship Chair (Seth Burgess):

  • Got grades back, not so good
  • Need to clear up some inaccuracies
  • Goals: 3.5, keep scholarships, graduate (those for whom appropriate)
  • Designing tracking system and online WWW support
  • Study sessions will be planned later
  • Teacher inquiry form for members with academic concerns
  • Need goal grades and syllabi from each member, as well as what help you may need from your brothers

Social Chair (Craig Stewart):

  • Working on calendar; please send requests
  • Two months tentatively planned

IFC Representative (Nathan Forsythe):

  • IFC meeting last week: IFC plans to make joint fraternity pledge events illegal.
  • See Br. Forsythe or Br. Bryant for relevant documents

Historian (Marcos Stocco):

  • Plan to collect pictures - get any you have to Br. Stocco
  • In process of making a composite

Old Business:

  • Investment planning and graduation $$ pledge still in development process

New Business:

  • WOW Program: can it be done Feb. 21? Vote requested by Br. Mercer. Much work needed and not much time available. Have reservations. Need points turned in. Need judging. Need contacts. Need decorations, planning, speeches, scripts, etc.
  • Motion open for discussion: to discontinue WOW program for this semester.
  • Br. Stocco: should scale down event and lessen workload
  • Br. Grady: It is Feb. 21 or not at all (date inflexible)
  • Br. Forsythe: willing to do work on it
  • Br. Mercer: not enough time? will detract from focus on rush?
  • Br. Watson: suggest "run-through" this semester
  • Br. Stocco: consider conception reasons: growth, future, etc.
  • Br. Stewart: event for us to build on
  • Br. Mercer: refresh memory concerning format: 7 speakers, 7 areas, 7 awards. High risk if failure
  • Br. Forsythe: AMEND motion to: Reduce WOW program to in-Triangle speakers and lessen risk impact (passed, consent)
  • Discussion moved to committee: Brs. Stewart, Forsythe, Stocco
  • Motion to get new phone downstairs (fund prebudget):
  • All Y vote except Br. Stocco (N vote)
  • Vote 7-4 for $75 allocation
  • Motion to set MDPE (Membership Development and Pledge Education) committee killed; responsibility of VP to appoint

Announcements:

  • Br. Wheatley: Thanks to Br. Garner for sending schedule to Alumni. The Full Monty is back in theatres.
  • Br. Stocco: Thanks to all for participating in football event
  • Br. Bryant: Good job on grades to everyone.
  • Br. Watson: ASK does this, may be good idea: randomly pair members to have lunch during the week
  • Br. Grady: None
  • Br. Forsythe: Br. Garner doing excellent job as rush chair. Looking forward to ECON course with Br. Burgess.
  • Br. Mercer: MDPE committee will consist of VP & Brs. Stocco, Garner, and Forsythe. "Cheesy-Poofs" not actual brand name. Spring Break Trip 07-Mar to Br. Mercer's home in California. Almost obtained Picasso lithograph at an auction.
  • Br. Burgess: Don't drink Br. Bryant's orange juice; it is important.
  • Br. Powell: Keep smiling. :)
  • Br. Martin: I said something; I just didn't write it down. :)
  • Br. Stewart: Talked to SWE, plan to have dinner 03-Feb.
  • Br. Garner: Thanks to everyone on Rush, still 2 weeks left.
  • Br. Aldridge: Enjoying single-room life; enjoying crash-course in accounting.

Final Announcement:

  • To Br. Garner for efforts on Rush

Closing Roll Call:

Stocco - present
Bryant - present
Watson - present
Forsythe - present
Dickinson - ABS UNEX.
Mercer - present
Murphy - present
Kraft - present
Yarrison - ABS ex.
Burgess - present
Powell - present
Martin - present
Lowe - co-op (no further notations this semester)
Stewart - present
Garner - present
Aldridge - present